Tuesday, November 9, 2010

{James+Lisa} Montana Wedding Photographer

Starting a blog for my photography has been at the forefront of my mind recently, and now that I am revamping my website...it seemed like the right time.  And I think a wedding is a great way to start off a photography blog!

James & Lisa were married on September 18, 2010 in Missoula, Montana.  The day before rained cats and dogs, as did the morning of the event.  But by the time we were to start taking photos, the weather was perfect!  Cloudy with bits of blue sky peeking through now and then...and this is how the rest of the day went.  We couldn't have asked for it to be any more perfect, and I am so happy for James & Lisa that it all went this way.  They absolutely deserved it.

Their wedding was the epitome of simple elegance, and pure fun.  Every detail had their touch, and it was very special and sweet.  I was also performing "double duty" at this wedding.  One duty being the photographer, and the second duty being a friend & guest.  Some might consider that extra pressure, but I thought it was wonderful.  I still cried behind my camera lens as they said "I do", and kissed for the first time.  {But let's face it...I am a sap, and I do this at every wedding.  I don't even have to know you that well.}  I still got to capture all the details of their day, just as I do for every bride & groom who hires me.  Now- I did get to have a piece of the amazing cake, a glass of the fabulous wine, and dance during the last part of the party when my shift was officially over.  That was definitely fun, and not something I would normally do at a wedding as the hired photographer!  Although..if you want me to, I'll do it!  :)

So, without further ado...here is a peek into the day of James & Lisa's wedding.  First up, let's start with the shoes!!  Lisa wore these gorgeous slingbacks by J. Renee.  The style is "Dayna", in case you want to look them up.
Lisa's dress was by Maggie Sottero, and she looked exquisite in it.  It has such beautiful detail to it, and a slightly vintage feel...which was just perfect for Lisa's look. {The style name for the Maggie dress is Nyna.}


Lisa applied her own makefup, and it was perfection!!  Her skin looked flawless and beautiful in the images, with just the right amount of color.  I have a full list of all the cosmetics that Lisa used for her wedding look, and I will list them at the bottom of this blog post if you want to know how she achieved it.
Lisa's hair was done by a stylist at Boom Swagger Salon.  They really did a beautiful job on her hair, and the floral hair piece was the perfect touch!
They decided against tuxes for the men, which was a perfect fit for the wedding.  James wore Hugo Boss {pants & dress shirt}, Cole Haan {shoes} & a Stafford Signature tie.
The venue was built from this beautiful blackened wood, and had this gorgeous bench that I used in many of the images.  Here is a peek into the images that we took of the two of them together.  Here is something that I am a huge stickler about when it comes to photographing the bride & groom together...no one else can be there other than an assistant to help with the bride's dress and flowers.  An intimate setting is needed to get those heartwarming and beautiful images because EVERYONE is self-conscious when multiple people are watching them get their photo taken.  So- when I ask you to leave while I am photographing a bride & groom...I don't say it to be rude or domineering.  I say it so their wedding images will be perfect and special.  These top images are my favorites of the two of them...so sweet and intimate.



Lisa's solitaire & setting were custom made by Adair Jewelers in Missoula.  On a personal note, Josh has gotten all of my jewelry from Adair.  They take such good care of their customers, and are very personable.  My favorite part is that whenever we go in there, they always remember who we are and chat with us for a bit.  Kathy Adair also always remembers what type of jewelry I prefer...which I guess is just good business sense, considering Josh normally takes her word.  Tee hee!  Lisa's wedding band from Macy's completed the ring, and James' ring was a plain tungsten band from Amazon.com.
  Lisa's flowers were done by Habitat Floral Studio/Design in Missoula, MT.  They were beautifully done, and just perfect for their wedding.  They also did the flowers that you will see in the reception photographs.
The entire wedding event was held at The Ranch Club in Missoula, MT.  The ceremony overlooked the golf course, and the reception took place in this beautiful, yet rustic looking building.  It was a beautiful location.
The ceremony was very loving, sweet...and short!  Just how James and Lisa wanted it, and it was totally perfect for them!  I loved watching and photographing every minute of it.

The officiant of the ceremony was Dr. Nikki Judge of Kalispell, MT. 
 Before she left, she was giving Lisa and James some words of wisdom.  I happened to notice that she was holding Lisa's hand...and I thought it was so sweet.  She showed genuine concern and interest in their newly wedded relationship...and capturing this image just warmed my heart. {Plus, it's a great detail shot of Lisa's dress! Tee hee!}
After the ceremony, and before they made their entrance into the reception...they had some down time outside.  They went off for a ride on a golf cart, and when they came back...the guys decided to smoke some cigars.  I got them together for this photo, and I crack up every time I look at it!  It fits the personality of James and his friends so much...I love it!
The reception was held inside, and it looked beautiful!  Understated and classy, the flowers didn't get in the way of conversation and were a beautiful accent to the evening.
Like I have said before, James & Lisa touched every detail of their day, which also included the drinks that were served.  They chose wine from Silver Falls Vineyard in Sublimity, OR, and Trout Slayer Ale from Big Sky Brewing Co. in Missoula, MT.  I had a glass of their Reisling when my job was officially done, and it was amazing. A few of us that attended are going to order and share a case of it.
The toasts were amazing and heartfelt.  James' dad is from Virginia, and he got up and gave the most wonderful, Southern gentlemen toast.  It was wonderful, and I just love capturing these type of images.  They are always so full of emotion and feelings and sincerity...
The cake...oh my goodness, was AMAZING!!  Seriously...it was THE best wedding cake I have ever had.  It was made by Margaret Ambrose-Barton of the Pearl Cafe in Missoula, MT.  I know who I am going to hire to make cakes for any events I might throw in the future. 
James and Lisa were very sweet when cutting the cake and feeding it to each other...which is exactly how it should be.  I would never say anything to those who do it, but I have never understood shoving cake in each others face.  Feeding one another cake is one of the first acts of trust and love that you show during your reception...so I just don't get it.  Not to mention...the bride put so much thought, time and money into how she looks on her wedding day.  Just my thoughts anyways...
The music and party were kept going by Aeriel Maneuvers Mobile DJ from Stevensville, MT.  He did a great job keeping the party fun and the guests dancing!  There was a great mix of music, and he even got out on the dance floor with all the guests at times.  It was a great time for all!
When all was said and done, Lisa and James were married and celebrated like crazy!  It was a perfect day, and I am so happy that I was able to capture it in images for them.  I think this last image proves how much FUN the party actually was!
Thank you, James & Lisa, for letting me share this special day with you.  I was so happy to be there as both your photographer and friend.  God bless you in your new marriage, and continued relationship.  {Love you guys bunches!!}

Until later,
Nope..I didn't forget about Lisa's makeup list!  If you want to acheive a look like Lisa's, here is what she used:
Foundation: Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation in 115 Ivory
Undereye concealer: Revlon Age Defying Moisturizing Concealer in Light/Medium
Undereye powder: Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
Eye Shadow Primer: LORAC Behind The Scenes Eye Primer
Setting Powder: Laura Mercier Pressed Setting Powder in Translucent
Eye Shadow: Chanel Kaska Beige Eyeshadow Quad
Eyeliner: I used the darkest shade from the Kaska Beige quad and applied with a liner brush
Eyebrow pencil: Prestige eyeliner pencil in Sable
Mascara: L'Oreal Voluminous waterproof in blackest black
Blush: I used both a cream and a powder over the top of it. The cream was Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in Milk Chocolate. The powder was MAC Fleur Power.
Lip liner: Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Addiction
Lipstick: MAC Cosmo
Bronzer: BeneFit Hoola
Highlighter: Dior Shimmer Star Pressed Powder in Rose Diamond
Pedicure: OPI Yodel Me On My Cell

No comments:

Post a Comment